The Small Enterprise Technology Upgrading Program (SETUP) is a nationwide strategy of the Department of Science and Technology to address the needs and requirements of enterprises through technology and equipment upgrading, strengthening of innovation capability, increasing productivity, and producing quality products to contribute in the attainment of sustainable and inclusive growth in the countryside.
The program continues to seek the improvement of existing products, services, and operations; increase productivity and competitiveness; and more importantly, enable MSMEs to develop new products and establish or sustain market niches.
SETUP 2.0 will likewise provide industry/sector interventions aside from addressing firm-level S&T constraints. It shall adopt a more holistic and focused approach to industry/sector development and address S&T gaps or requirements in industry value or supply chains. It shall promote SMARTER, i.e., Socially-Responsive, Market-Oriented, Able, Resilient, Technology-Intensive, Environment-Friendly, Resource-Efficient enterprises emphasizing the need for them to acquire characteristics that would make them more competitive in the local and global markets.
The program intends to strengthen the country’s innovation system by enabling MSMEs and identified entities to address their technological requirements and limitations to improve productivity and efficiency through:
- Application of appropriate technologies to improve/develop products, services and/or operations;
- Human resource training, technical assistance and productivity consultancy services;
- Assistance for compliance to regulatory and market standards such as testing and calibration services;
- Assistance to address shop-floor problems through short-term research; and
- Provision of financial assistance to facilitate acquisition of appropriate technologies and/or implement technological innovations.
The program will likewise provide interventions at the level of industry or sector, to wit:
- Technology forecasting and gap analysis
- Provision of support facilities such as Specialized laboratory, Innovation Centers, TBI
- Capacity building
- Policy development and support